FiTech EFI Tuning Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2300 RPMs at start

Hello everyone. Im new to the fitech world and jumped in with a  new engine build for SBF 302 using a new fitech 30003, edlebrock manifold, and a Jeggs 1" spacer. The manifold does have a ERP port which is covered with the FT gasket.

Took several attempts of cranking for the engine to start, a few sputters, and tons of cranking and draining the battery. We noticed that the butterflies on the FT were about 1/4 to 1/2 open. Pulled unit off the engine, removed the TPS and closed the butterflies. Reinstalled TPS and FT, started on first crank and immediately jumped up to over 3000 rpms. IAC was in the 200s and not sure on the TPS%.

I then reset all sensors, restored config back to factory, backed out all idle screws. Turned engine over and jumped to 2200-2300 rpms. Some learning, some idle adjustment, yet never dropped below 2200.  IAC steps are 0-3, TPS flucuates between 0 and 0.5% . All vacuum ports are plugged.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Here's what I would do. Check to make sure the butterflies are at the close position with accelerator linkage disconnected from the throttle body. The front and back IAC screws will adjust the opening, so back off both screws until they come off the butterflies. Once you do that turn the key ,but dont start the car. On the handheld look at  TPS, it should be at zero and open the throttle manually by hand and look at the readings on the hand held. It should go from zero to 100 at full throttle. If it doesn't the TPS sensor may be bad or there is a issue with linkage or butterflies on the throttle body. If it checks out, adjust front and back IAC screws to where you just effect moving the throttle butterflies and add 3/4 of a turn.  Also you may want to try starting with car without the spacer, in case there is a vacuum leak. I had a issue with vacuum leak at the back vacuum port for my brake booster as I couldn't install the vacuum hose all the way in , until I removed the throttle body from the car

Thanks SodaPop.. That was exactly what we ended up doing. We found the TPS sensor was keeping the butterflies open. Reinstalled TPS Sensor, got them back to flush. Adjusted both front and rear IAC screw and she purrs now. Appreciate the response.