FiTech EFI Tuning Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

30012 Problems

Hey guys!  Hoping somebody here can help with some of the weirdness I'm seeing with my Power Adder 1200.  This unit has been sitting on the shelf for a super long time,  and I'm just getting around to using it.  First thing first, this is a clean install.  Every wire in the car was ripped out.. and everything is fresh.  I solder everything.   The Fitech is wired directly to battery.  The unit itself is grounded off the passenger front stud directly to battery.  The key-on is handled by a toggle switch,  there is zero issue with key-on power while cranking.  My issues are not wiring issues  🙂

That said,  my first mistake was buying the new hand-held unit prior to installing.   I of course installed it and tried to use the new controller.   After a couple of days of frustration and almost removing the whole setup, it dawned on me I should try the hand-held that shipped with it before I removed it and viola!  She was up and running with no drama.   Apparently I had stumbled upon a pretty decent firmware/software version issue with what was on the ECU and what came on the new hand-held.

I got in touch with FiTech and got new firmware/software for the hand-held today (2-dot).  I updated the hand-held and sent an update to the ECU.  After I did that, I shut it down for 10 minutes and fired it back up.  I looked at the tune before trying to start the car and a LOT of values had changed.  I went through everything and reset all the base values as well as the timing and fueling/AFR.. and tried to start the car.  No start.  It stumbled a little and pretended it wanted to start,  but never did.  I decided to give it a little throttle (bad habbit coming from carb) and it would fire and run terrible.. as long as I kept giving it throttle.  During this stage (barely keeping it running with throttle), it basically smoked out my whole garage and house with a death cloud of gasoline smoke.  Smell of fuel is still in my bathroom 4 hours later.

I obviously can't do that again tonight.. and plan on messing with it more tomorrow.. but I'm here just looking for some advice!  I'm sort of depressed.. I should have just stuck with the old hand-held and old firmware and went with it.  It started and ran great! And now I'm worried I've messed up the ability of the ECU to work with the old controller since I pushed a software upgrade to it today!!

Also, I've reset all the 'relearn' stuff to 1 in an attempt to resolve this with no improvement.   I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn how the data-logging works and get some logs??

I'm really hoping to get this thing back to happy.. really has me stressed out now!!

Thanks for any info!!!