FiTech EFI Tuning Forum

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumYour Ride: Your build72 Jeep truck with 2BBL
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

72 Jeep truck with 2BBL

I'm new to Fitech or any fuel injection for that matter and don't understand just a whole lot about adjusting or tuning this stuff but an idle jet has been broken on my old Motorcraft 2bbl which has been bothering me since I rebuilt the engine so I decided to upgrade to FI.

My truck is a mostly all original stock J4500 with AMC 360. The only mods that have been done are an HEI ignition and now the Fitech 2BBL. I've run into a few issues hooking up the Fitech but nothing too serious. The biggest thing has been the temperature sensor. My engine has nowhere to put it except the thermostat housing, and I'm not willing to modify anything that can't be undone. The original temp sensor is tiny, there are no other holes in the intake and the block drains are also smaller than the Fitech sensor. Currently I am using the thermostat housing but plan on adding something to the heater hose for better readings.

I used a Fitech 40102 Fuel pump and mounted it in the fuel tank, which required modifying the sending unit a bit but other than that it fit through the existing hole. It seems to work well.

I'm a little confused about the setup because what's on the hand held controller doesn't match the directions from Fitech. In the online quick start guide it tells you to go to engine setup, which I did. I entered engine size, cam, rev limit, all that but when I came to item 6 on the list the guide says that item 6 should be "Tach or 2-wire" but on my controller Item 6 is "Pump PWM low flow" and has a default setting of 80.0. Item 7 on the list is "Reset fuel learn" and has a default setting of 0. Item 8 is "Tach or 2-wire". I have no ideas what to do with those settings so I left them alone and hope the self learning does whatever is needed. I contacted Fitech about them but haven't heard back.

I currently have about 10 miles on the system and it seems to run better than with the carb and getting better all the time. Starting is a little slower though and I'd like to figure out a way to make that better. With the carb I would give the throttle half a pump and it would start instantly, like half a turn instantly. With the Fitech it takes considerably more cranking before it fires off. I'm hoping to find some sort of adjustment that can fix this issue, maybe a bigger squirt of fuel on start up? Of course I have no idea what setting that would be but I keep reading as much as I can find.

Anyway, this section is about showing off and what is showing off without pictures? So here are a few pix to show off my build.

This first one is my truck.

Next is the engine before fuel injection

Then while installing

and last finished installation.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Alfa302 has reacted to this post.
Alfa302

You are on the right path.  We will help get the rest worked out.

Quote from Austin DeHaas on April 29, 2019, 2:09 pm

You are on the right path.  We will help get the rest worked out.

Thank you, I hope I can learn to make this thing work well, not that it isn't already better than with the carb. I just installed a Delco temp sensor in the heater hose and took it for a drive. Temps are now reading what I expect (185-195f ). With the Fitech sensor in the thermostat housing they were 160-170f. I don't know if it was the location or the sensor but I'm happy with it now. I figure I'll take it for a run down the highway and back and forth to work for a week or two, then start looking into tweaking things. This truck is my daily driver so reliability is important even though I only live 6 miles from work.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Not sure this is the right place to post this but yesterday I began working on duel snorkel air cleaner for my truck. It originally had a single snorkel as pictured above. As a temporary measure I ran an open air filter last night and this morning. I noticed right away that the engine ran smoother with the open filter Vs the single snorkel. Today I installed the dual snorkel and once again noticed the engine definitely runs smoother and better. This tells me the original single snorkel air cleaner is too restrictive. I just thought some might like to know.

This is the air filter now

It not only looks cool it runs better.

Deleted user

Looks good.  We need to work on some of that wiring brother....

Quote from Austin DeHaas on June 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
We need to work on some of that wiring brother....

What's wrong with my wiring???? It's an old truck, it's supposed to look like that.

Deleted user

Fair enough!!!!😂

Those wires that look bad aren't even hooked up, they are old wires I just haven't bothered to remove. The way I see all I want is my truck to run and drives good I don't want it to look like it is worth stealing.

Deleted user
Quote from Crankyolman on June 9, 2019, 4:25 pm

Those wires that look bad aren't even hooked up, they are old wires I just haven't bothered to remove. The way I see all I want is my truck to run and drives good I don't want it to look like it is worth stealing.

That's not a bad strategy. 😂